Rockwood families are invited to Rockwood Drug-Free Coalition Safety Fair on April 23. The Coalition is a community-wide effort that includes educators, guidance counselors, local law enforcement officers, public and private schools in the Rockwood area.
"Safety is a community project," says Coalition Director Jean Sokora. "We want to have healthy, safe kids. Parents are the greatest prevention tool we have when it comes to underage drinking and substance use."
Safety Fair Date: Sunday, April 23
Time: 12-4 p.m.
Location: Rockwood Summit High School
Address: 1780 Hawkins Road in Fenton
Included in the safety fair will be information, workshops and seminars from the following:
- MADD: Mothers Against Drunk Driving presents "The Power of Parents," ideas to educate caregivers on the importance of conversations and specific rules to encourage teens to wait until they are 21 to drink. Join the conversation at 12:30 p.m.
- AIR: Addiction is Real presents "Hidden in Plain Sight," a room set up to provide parents with clues from a teen's bedroom to help them determine whether their child might be experimenting with or using drugs or alcohol.
- Alcohol Compliance Checks: The Coalition will recognize 32 area retailers who have aligned with law enforcement to ensure merchants are checking IDs and adults are not purchasing for those under 21 – along with alcohol placement in their business. Join the award ceremony at 1:30 p.m.
- Take the Pledge: The Coalition encourages "Your Actions Matter" for parents and students to take the pledge to live a healthy lifestyle. Receive a flash drive with resources on how to talk to middle and high school students about alcohol and other drugs.
- First-Time Drivers: Check out a car from Seeger Toyota with safety features that will help teens as they learn the rules of the road.
In addition, local police and canine units, firefighters and EMTs will be part of the wrap-around safety event for the Rockwood community. Stay the afternoon and enjoy family activities and lunch from area food trucks.
The Rockwood Drug-Free Coalition provides leadership, education and resources to prevent and address substance use among youth. Funding is provided through a federal Drug-Free Communities grant award, as well as state and private foundation awards and in-kind support from many community partners. The Coalition received a grant from ACT-Missouri to educate the community about underage drinking.
Join us in the work to create a safer community. Learn more about the Drug Free Coalition.