A+ Scholarship Program
A Plus Information
The deadline for students to apply to the A+ program is the last Wednesday of September of the student's senior year.
The A+ Scholarship Program is ran by Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development and provides scholarship funds to eligible graduates of A+ designated high schools who attend a participating public community college or vocational/technical school, or certain private two-year vocational/technical schools.
A+ Eligibility Criteria includes:
- Submit an A+ Application
- Graduate from an A+ designated high school and attend an A+ designated high school for two years prior to graduation.
- Graduate with an unweighted, unrounded GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Maintain at least a 95% cumulative attendance record in grades 9 - 12.
- Achieve the math proficiency requirement with a score of advanced or proficient on the Algebra 1 End of Course Exam or qualifying ACT score with sliding GPA combination. *see below for chart with the sliding scale combo **waived for 2022 seniors
- Perform 50 hours of unpaid tutoring and/or mentoring with Rockwood students under Rockwood staff supervision.
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the use of alcohol and unlawful drugs
- Have less than 6 days of school suspension.
- Make a good faith effort to apply for non-payback financial aid by completing FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Register for Selective Service if applicable.
*Please refer to the RSD A+ Handbook for a complete overview of the program requirements
*This is a student-driven program
Sliding Scale for A+ Math Proficiency Requirement
A+ Attendance Information
All absences (excused and unexcused) count toward a student’s attendance percentage. Some absences may be eligible for review. Please review the chart below for a list of absences eligible for review and supply the A+ office with the required documentation to be considered. Attendance reviews will not be granted for the following; truancy, suspension, vacation, transportation, absences due to final exam exemptions.
A+ Tutoring/Mentoring Expectations
Before you begin tutoring/ mentoring:
- Enroll in the A+ program by filling out & submitting an LHS A+ Schools Program Application.
- Have your tutoring/mentoring assignment approved in advance by the A+ Coordinator, Mrs. Brawner. Contact via email.
Expectations for tutoring/ mentoring:
- All pre-approved hours must be recorded and logged on a weekly basis using the A+ tutoring log
- Be reliable, arrive on time & attend consistently
- Arrive prepared and complete assigned tasks responsibly
- Dress appropriately.
- Treat all staff members and students with the utmost respect and friendliness
- Project a positive attitude, maturity and self-confidence
- Use good judgment and follow all school rules
- Respect the principle of confidentiality
- Any information regarding a student’s academics and/or behavior is NOT to be shared with friends or family members
A+ Tutoring/Mentoring Opportunities*
- Tutor a younger sibling in your household
- Virtually tutor a classmate or younger Rockwood student
- Enroll in the Cadet Teaching course and successfully complete the course
- To enroll in Cadet Teaching you need to complete the cadet teaching application and work with your counselor to add this course on your schedule.
- Upon the successful completion of Cadet Teaching course students will have fulfilled the A+ tutoring requirement, these hours do not have to be logged or recorded for the 21-22 school year
- Enroll in the PE Mentoring Course and successfully complete the course
- To enroll in the PE MEntoring Course, students will work with their counselor to add this course to their schedule.
- Upon the successful completion of the PE Mentoring course students will have fulfilled the A+ tutoring requirement, these hours do not have to be logged or recorded for the 21-22 school year.
- Complete up to 12.5 hours related to career exploration/job shadowing
- Prior job shadowing through Rockwood's PIE department
- Complete career exploration activities through Missouri Connections
*Opportunities are currently modified for the 2021-2022 school year due to COVID-19
Once you are ready to start your tutoring assignment, reach out to me via email, so I can approve and record your assignment.
How to access A+ student statistics through Infinite Campus