In late August, early September every year we begin a fun social skills group based on Superstar groups. We provide group sessions for the entire class at least once every other week for 30-45 minutes through mid May every year.
Group is structured, physical, and fun. It is filled with joyful activities that allow children to interact with each other and have fun in a safe and secure way.
The goals we have for the groups are:
- To enhance self-esteem
- To increase trust in others through experience
- To increase awareness of each other and each other's needs
- To promote a feeling of care and concern for one another
- To increase the ability to wait and take turns
- To promote a feeling of safety in a group setting
- To promote appropriate and healthy social interactions
- To enjoy and have fun
There are three rules involved in group that the children are reminded of each session. They are:
- No hurts
- We stick together...we all play the same games, we take turns, and most important
- We have FUN!
The children are all greeted at the beginning of each session in a song or game. Then given the option to take care of themselves with lotion. We play games that promote self-esteem, self-regulation and cooperation. The group ends with a nurturing snack or a sticker, then a goodbye song and signal that the group has ended.
Our Goodbye Song
The more we get together, together, together
The more we get together, the happier we'll be
Because your friends are my friends and my friends are your friends
The more we get together, the happier we'll be.
Group fits perfectly with our Character Education Program. Please contact your child's teacher for Superstar group dates and times.