Career Planning and Upcoming Events
Marquette High School offers a wide range of career planning resources aimed at helping students explore and choose a career path for their future. Check out the opportunities listed below.
The Department of Economic Development annually identifies occupations in which a critical need or shortage of trained personnel exists in the labor markets in this state. Check out the list of High Demand Occupations
Build My Future Event
This year's event will be held on April 26, 2023, at St. Charles Family Arena and is open to the general public from 3:00 -5:00 pm, a fantastic opportunity for parents to attend with their students. Info Flyer
Career Exploration Fair - Saturday, November 12, 2022 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
18370 Wings of Hope Blvd. Chesterfield, MO 6300
Join us in the Wings of Hope Hangar for a Career Exploration STEM Fair. Connect with your future and explore careers at this FREE event. Meet career professionals who can answer your questions about job requirements and what education and training is needed after high school for your career — technical school, associate degree or bachelor’s degree — and available scholarships.
This event is geared toward high school students, and parents are welcome to attend.
It is FREE, but registration is required for all attendees. Only 100 tickets are available. To reserve your ticket, scan the code on the flyer HERE. For more information, contact Robert Powell, Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dream Big Career Club Event Informational Flyer
On December 7th from 4:00 pm-5:00 pm via Zoom, there will be a Dream Big Career Club event on the Creative and Digital Arts! This is an opportunity for students to interact with a panel of professionals who work in various areas of the creative and digital arts.
The professionals will share their educational and career journeys. At the end, students will be able to ask panel members questions. This event is FREE and will be hosted virtually via Zoom! please click here to register!
Juniors: are you interested in participating in a summer internship through Rockwood? Join us for a virtual information meeting on October 17, 2022, from 8:30 - 9:30 am to learn more about the Project Interface Summer Internship Program. Learn more here: https://www.rsdmo.org/Page/5085
The application window for Rockwood's 9-12 Career Shadowing program is now open! Students have until September 14th to sign up for a Fall shadowing experience.
Total Access EMT
Interested in a career in the medical field as an Emergency Medical Technician?
Total Access offers:
- Accelerated 7 - Week Program - Meets Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 8am - 4pm
- 12 - Week Program - Meets Tuesdays and Thursdays 5pm - 10pm
- Immediate job opportunities upon graduation
- Tuition reimbursement
Take a look at the website for more information.
BOEING and St. Louis Community College: Boeing Assembly Pre-Employment Training
This free program is fully funded by Boeing Company. It is designed for 2nd-semester high school seniors and provides 208 hours of employer-specific instruction in aircraft assembly techniques for Assembly Mechanic positions at Boeing. Find more information at stlcc.edu/Boeing
Career Interest Surveys and Assessments
- Missouri Connections: a career exploration system that is accessible via the Internet. Students are given the opportunity to complete interest, skills, and values inventories on the Missouri Connections along with the ability to explore educational opportunities. Students can request login information from their Guidance Counselor.
- ASVAB: the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. Marquette’s Junior ROTC program administers this test to interested students in the fall. It measures interests and abilities and is used by branches of the military to determine placement.
- The Agile Work Profiler© tool will help you discover your work strengths AND interests, and how these “Agilities” can apply to many different careers. It only takes 10 minutes and it's free for you to use: agilities.org
- American Job Center / One-Stop Career Center(s)
- O’Net Online / onetcenter.org
- Missouri Job Centers
- Holland Code Career Test
Access Point Technology Program
Looking for students who have…
- An interest in IT – this may be expressed through “gaming” or web design
- Taken or planning to take a Computer Science class or a class that includes programming
- No clear plan for after graduation and/or a desire to have a job and no college debt
- A GPA of 2.6 or higher or an Accuplacer Reading Proficiency score of 250 or above – this is to satisfy the STLCC requirement for dual enrollment and reading proficiency. Can work with students who have a 2.0 GPA or higher as well.
- A determination toward success and an ability to put in hard work toward that success
Within a year of graduating from HS, students are guaranteed an entry-level job at a Fortune 500 company in the St. Louis area that comes with a starting salary of $40-$50K, full benefits, and a 401k. The company the student works for pays him/her to get their college degree (the student gets to choose the area of technology he/she wants to go into). This means, no college debt!
Abbot EMS Academy
The application for the Summer EMT Academy with Abbott EMS is now open. Here is the link to apply.
About The EMT Academy
- Classes are Monday-Friday for eight weeks, 8:00am-5:00pm.
- Students will earn $11.15 while attending class, as well as 401k and vacation time.
- After the National Registry examination and acquiring their state licensure, they will earn the EMT starting rate of $18.00 per hour and health benefits.
- Candidates must be 18 years of age.
- Candidates must have a GED or High School Diploma.
Conservation Leadership Corps
The CLC's mission is to engage youth in sustaining the conservation of our natural resources and to develop the next generation of conservation leaders. CLC is a great opportunity for high school and college students interested in conservation and other closely related fields to network with resource professionals across the state, including our 100+ affiliate organizations. The program is highly regarded by the state agencies and is beneficial for securing internships and job opportunities. Students also learn about conservation advocacy and policy development, and leadership and communication skills. This leadership program is a great resume builder, a way to develop lifelong friendships with students with similar interests, and network with resource professionals. For more information check out the website: https://confedmo.org/clc/
Accelerated Job Training @ St. Louis Community College
The Workforce Solutions Group develops industry-specific training in partnership with the college’s campuses and local employers to help adults retrain for in-demand occupations in shorter-duration formats. The link below provides a comprehensive list of the variety of accelerated job training programs that have been developed by the Workforce Solutions Group at St. Louis Community College. Program offerings are based on demand and the availability of funding or industry partner participation. Call the accelerated job hotline at 314-539-5310 to leave your contact information and the program(s) you are interested in to receive a callback. Click here for a full list of programs and visit this website for more information: https://stlcc.edu/programs-academics/accelerated-job-training/
FREE Construction Training Opportunities
Spring and Summer opportunities for anyone looking for experience in the construction trades!! Check out these flyers for more information.
EARN WHILE YOU LEARN: EMERGENCY MEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS ACADEMY
Training Emergency Medical Dispatchers in St. Louis, MO: American Medical Response - St. Louis Communications, part of the nation's leading medical transportation company, is offering a paid training opportunity to jump-start your career in EMS. AMR provides all necessary preparation including the Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) certification
course. The Communications Center is the AMR communications hub managing ambulance operations in multiple states. Our call volume includes emergency and non-emergency transports through our 911 contracts and hospital customers. Sign-on bonuses are paid out over the course of one year and every 60 days employees have the opportunity for an attendance bonus.
Interested in a career in construction?
Check out all the STL Construction Career Center has to offer! Construction Career Center Flyer
Professional Pilot Program - Southeast Missouri State University
The professional pilot degree prepares you to gain the FAA certifications to become a professional pilot and begin a career in commercial aviation. Explore the Professional Pilot Program
Aviation is an area with tremendous job growth and career advancement opportunities.
- 76% of commercial airlines are either required or prefer to hire a pilot with a 4-year degree
- Overall employment of airline and commercial pilots is projected to grow 5% through 2029
- The median annual salary for airline and commercial pilots is $175k+
- 50% of licensed pilots will retire in the next 20 years, so the airlines need new pilots!
Missouri Health Careers: Missouri needs health care workers.
Careers in health professions are rewarding, stable, and in-demand. Missouri Health Careers assists students and job seekers in understanding what jobs might be a good fit and helps connect them to resources to make it happen.
The newly enhanced website features an interactive career quiz, a tool to compare careers side-by-side, school and training information, and access to job openings for those ready to begin their career search.
- South Tech: a variety of training programs are offered through South Tech School. Starting with the sophomore year, students may apply to attend on a part-time basis. While attending one of the programs, students obtain valuable skills and certifications for entering the workforce after graduation.
- CCE: a program that provides real-world business internship opportunities in a specific career interest area. This program is open only to seniors and requires an application.
- Partners in Education; Career Shadowing: an opportunity for juniors to be assigned to community resource people in various occupations for a day. Project Interface: an independent study opportunity for juniors and seniors. The program allows students to complete work projects in a corporate setting. https://www.rsdmo.org/community/pie/Pages/default.aspx
- Dual Enrollment: an opportunity for seniors to get advanced work toward career goals. The program allows students to take college classes on the university's campus while still enrolled at Marquette. Interested students need to see their Guidance Counselor for details.
- Be sure to check out the Career Chats offered weekly by the Partners in Education department Click Here
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: list information on a wide range of occupations. Career information can be viewed online at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/.
- Military Service Opportunities: brochures for various military branches can be found in the Guidance Center.
- Individual Advisement: each spring Guidance Counselors meet with students to discuss course selections, post-secondary plans, and career interests.
The following websites offer advice on choosing a career: