Board of Education
The Rockwood Board of Education is a group of seven members who are elected to serve as the educational advocate of our community's youth. The key roles and responsibilities of the Board are to:
- Hire and evaluate the superintendent and delegate all administrative responsibilities.
- Approve the school district's budget.
- Establish goals and evaluate outcomes.
- Adopt and evaluate policies.
- Connect with the community.
- Assure school district performance.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for election, a local school board candidate must be a citizen of the United States, a resident taxpayer of the district, a resident of the state for one year preceding election of appointment and at least 24 years of age.
Making Board Decisions
A board of education is a governmental body, so it can take action only by a majority vote at a legally called public meeting. The individual board member's major responsibility is to study, evaluate, and, after due consideration, vote in the best interest of all students at such a meeting.