Welcome Home Rockwood
In Rockwood, we firmly believe that all students need teachers who represent diversity and inclusion in our community, along with a wide range of skills to prepare them for our competitive, global society.
Rockwood has created a mentorship program for Rockwood alumni and current students who want to become future teachers in the Rockwood School District. Our Welcome Home Rockwood program supports current students who are inspired to become future educators in our Rockwood schools.
- Every Student: Students need great teachers, mentors and role models. They need to see educators who look like them, and who have a passion and enthusiasm for learning.
- Every Teacher: Teachers need to understand what students can achieve and let them know they can do anything they set their sights on.
- Every School: Schools need to see graduates return and support the school community that made a difference in their lives.
Basic eligibility for Welcome Home Rockwood participation:
- Be a Rockwood high school student in grades 11 or 12 (a student may apply in their 10th grade year, however)
- Have a high school GPA of 2.5 or higher (at time of application)
- Demonstrate good citizenship throughout high school
- Maintain a 90% attendance record (at time of application)
Participants will be ineligible to begin or continue in the program for any of the following infractions:
- Suspension due to chronic discipline violations and/or suspension.
- Possession, use, sale or transfer of alcohol, drugs, or any substance as such.
- Criminal activity as defined by the Safe Schools Act.
Benefits of the Program
- Mentors: Participating students will be assigned mentors who will learn about their goals, help them explore options and develop a career plan customized for their aspirations.
- Programs, Internships and Cadet Teaching: All students are unique and Rockwood has many programs and pathways to help them achieve their goals of becoming a Rockwood teacher. Mentors will guide students along the way!
- Support: Our school district has community partnerships that may help strengthen our students' skills and develop their abilities to become highly qualified educators in the Rockwood School District.
Critical Shortage Areas
Our school district actively recruits educators from the following areas that are in high demand.
- Diversity and Inclusion: We need to develop a professional staff to reflect the cultural diversity within our school community.
- Curricular Areas: We need professional educators certified in the following areas: ESOL (English of Speakers of Other Languages), STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) and some foreign languages.
- Interested students need to complete the Welcome Home Rockwood application between October 1 and December 8.
- Our Welcome Home Rockwood Committee will carefully review all applications.