As a result of the continued driver shortage which most school districts in our region and state are experiencing, Rockwood will again be implementing the following changes for the 2023-2024 school year:
- Students who live within approximately one mile of most of our schools will no longer be eligible for transportation
- A significant number of routes will be combined to create more efficient routes that our staffing can reasonably support;
- Having fewer routes and more students on our buses means that we will have less flexibility to accommodate changes. Unless it is a true emergency, we will no longer be allowing guest riders or accepting requests to drop off at a location other than your home address or alternate address.
Please know that financial considerations played no part in this need to implement changes to our protocols. These changes are a direct result of our driver shortage. We have taken the following steps to try and address the staffing shortage:
- We offer competitive pay
- We actively market and advertise our open positions
- We offer a $1,500 referral bonus for staff
- We offer a $1,000 sign-on bonus for hires who have a commercial driver's license and a valid P&S endorsement
Thank you for your understanding and support as we continue to manage the driver shortage while providing safe and reliable transportation for as many students as possible. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Transportation Department at 636-733-8500.