In the Rockwood School District, we have a balanced approach to assessments, which includes state-level required testing. The state of Missouri and the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) have set the guidelines for assessments this year, which include in-person testing for all students in grades 3-8 and for End of Course (EOC) exams at the middle and high school levels. The Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) helps gauge district, school, and individual student performance on state standards and grade-level expectations.
As you may recall, MAP (and EOC) testing was canceled last year. Therefore, the last state data we have from assessments is now two years old. This is an opportunity to capture an accurate assessment of where students are at and DESE has indicated that they do plan to release individual student scores for parents. The results will not affect student grades or their permanent record.
“While districts may have an understanding of where students are at, these are not standardized measures across the state,” shared Chris Neal, Assistant Commissioner for the Missouri Office of Quality Schools. “The importance of having this information is so that the state can advocate for things that will help level the playing field; that is, address issues of access and equity, and advocate for the support of students. It is critical that DESE has the best and most up-to-date information possible.”
It is important to note that the state has included all virtual students in their guidelines and requires that virtual students take the tests in person in a proctored environment. In the next few weeks and following spring break, individual schools will be contacting virtual families with options for when their student can come to school to test if they are in a grade or class that requires testing.
Some important information to keep in mind regarding testing:
- All virtual students will be provided options from their school for attending a testing session. These options will vary by school, so please watch for that communication in the coming weeks.
- We will continue to follow the safety measures with Rockwood Safe Together in school buildings to keep students as safe as possible.
- All students and staff will be required to wear a mask while at school and testing.
- Hand sanitizer will be on hand for student and staff use.
- MAP Testing Windows:
- Grades 3-8: April 12 thru May 14
- Middle School EOCs (Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and Geometry)
- Quarter 3 EOC for MS Alg1, Alg 2 and Geometry: March 11-19
- Quarter 4 EOC for MS Alg1, Alg 2 and Geometry: May 14-28
- High School EOCs (Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Biology, 10th ELA, Government)
- Apr 16 - 30: English 2, Algebra 2, Biology
- May 10 - 21: Algebra I, Government
We support DESE’s efforts to assess students and enhance their education and we encourage all virtual students whose class(es) are testing to attend a testing session. If your virtual student is in a class that will be testing, you will be notified by your school as to your in-person options for testing.