Unprecedented times yield extraordinary investment in technology. From Chromebook repairs to answering questions about Zoom and Google Classroom, Rockwood Technical Support Services staff members are working in a variety of ways to help support students, families and staff during the coronavirus school closures.
Three to four technical support staff members have been answering phone calls, and the district's 22 building technicians are working on requests related to these calls. During the first couple of days of the Alternative Learning Plan, they experienced an increase of three to five times as many calls as in a typical day.
"It is the lifeline for families, students and staff who are having issues accessing educational materials online," said Rockwood Director Technical Support Services Bob Deneau. "Remote learning puts a premium on technology, and our help desk is available to aid families when something is not quite right."
Below are some tips for working at home and staying connected.
- Shut down your Chromebook daily.
- Make sure your Chrome OS (operating system) is up to date.
- Monitor the usage of your home network to see if there is too much activity happening at once.
- Access information on the Rockwood website with answers to our most frequently asked questions.
- Call the Help Desk at (636) 733-1111, if you experience an issue.
"We are doing our best to provide the best level of service possible under these extreme circumstances," said Deneau. "We thank everyone for their patience as we all go through this together."