A MESSAGE FROM DR. BIRKENMEIER
Dear Falcon Family,
It is an exciting time, as your Rockwood South teachers are on campus and gearing up for our first day of online learning together! Although we are virtual this quarter, the excitement and fire for students to return and for our first day together still burns bright. While this year has presented us with its fair share of challenges to navigate, I am also looking forward to the opportunities that will be available to everyone.
As we look forward to starting our classes on August 24, I would be remiss if I did not mention that along with the excitement to be with our students, there will also be a certain amount of nervousness. I assure you that our staff is committed to learning and growing, but we will need your patience and grace as we strive to continually improve and get this right. I will be honest with you, we will not have all the answers right away because this is a new format and system for many, if not all of us. However, it is the love for kids, for teaching, for connecting and learning that will allow us to rise. I know we can count on our Falcon Family community to extend patience and grace as we work together to support our kids.
Listed below we have provided logistics and technical information we want to make sure you have to begin learning on August 24th.
- Please watch this brief and important video to help you and your child in accessing and navigating the Canvas Learning System.
- Accessing classes on the first day of school (this is also shown in the video above): When students open their browser on their Chromebook, Canvas will come up on the first tab; they will be automatically logged in and have access to their courses. Zoom links for each class will be located in the announcements and course resources for each course. Students will use that link to join that specific class during the scheduled time it meets.
- Our first day of school will begin on Monday at 8:00 a.m. with our Back to School Advisory Session. All students will access this session through the Canvas Learning System. The link for the Welcome Back to School Advisory video will be in the announcements for your child's Language Arts Course.
- Parents can find information about access to their student’s course work by visiting Canvas information online on the Rockwood website.
- In preparation for the first day of school, we ask that all students please log onto their Chromebook prior to the first day of school and update their Chromebook (if needed). If a student is having difficulty with their Chromebook, please see the Chromebook Tips at the bottom of this newsletter. If you are still having difficulty, please contact the Technology Help Desk: Technology Help Desk Link.
- Remember to set up a workspace for your student to participate in learning.
- Please see the Daily schedule for all middle school students. Please click on the Middle School Tab once you click the link.
- Starting August 24, 2020, attendance will be taken each day in all classes. If your child will be out for a specific reason, and you know they will not be in the live session(s), please call us at 636-891-6850.
- Material Distribution Days will take place Monday, August 24 through Friday, August 28 in the lobby area at RSMS. Parents are welcome to come to school anytime between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to obtain needed items. Please take note that most textbooks are available online. Please check this document and look for the names of your child's teachers to determine if you will need to pick up supplies. At the distribution, all materials will be “checked out” to the student and are to be returned upon completion of the course. Please note that masks will be required and all entrants must complete a Covid-19 Self Report Form prior to entering the building.
- Parents can complete a meal benefit application at any time throughout the school year to see if they qualify for free or reduced-price meals. Benefits last all school year. The sign-up sheet for the Grab N Go meals can be found here.
- Community Partners in Prevention: Rockwood Drug Coalition is now serving our community under the name Community Partners in Prevention. Information and parent resources can be found at this link: Community Partners in Prevention.
If there is anything we can do at this time to assist you or your child, please let us know.
I look forward to working with you and greatly appreciate your partnership. Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions at 636-891-6850.
With Falcon Pride,
Laurie Birkenmeier, Ed.D.
Rockwood South Middle School
Discover. Connect. Make a Difference.
Follow Me on Twitter @RSMSPrincipal
LOOKING FOR A WAY TO HELP FAMILIES IN THE RSMS COMMUNITY THIS SCHOOL YEAR?Please consider donating to the RSMS Pantry Fund and/or RSMS Scholarship Fund. Social Worker, Ashley O'Daniel, uses monetary donations to the RSMS Pantry to purchase food, toiletries, clothing items, and other various needs for our RSMS students and families. Monetary donations to the Scholarship fund helps support students with class fees, PE uniforms, and those who are unable to attend a field trip or school event due to financial constraints. Cash or check donations can be dropped off at the front office (attn: Ashley O'Daniel). Checks should be made out to RSMS.
Also, please keep an eye out for upcoming volunteer opportunities listed on the RSMS Pantry SignUp Genius pages. Here is the link to RSMS Pantry items needed
page and the RSMS Pantry volunteers needed
page. Items needed and volunteer opportunities will be added throughout the school year - so please make sure to look back throughout the school year!
The first PSO sponsored fundraiser of the year will be held on August 29th from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Toasted Coffee house in High Ridge. 10% of all sales will support Rockwood South. Please check out the flyer
for more information.
COMING TO RSMS? PLEASE READ HERE!
HEALTH SCREENING FORM
For the protection of our students, staff, and community, anyone who wishes to enter the campus of a Rockwood building for any reason will first be asked to fill out a health form.
You may do so when you arrive at the facility, or you may fill it out online in advance for your convenience. Click here to fill out the form online.
This information will be used daily in lieu of COVID-19 symptom checking upon your arrival to locations in Rockwood School District. The information will only be used in the event we need to contact you due to COVID-19 exposure.
LIBRARY NEWS-LOOKING TO CHECK-OUT A BOOK?
Rockwood South's library will be offering curbside pickup for physical books for students.
Please see attached flyer for details. For the first two weeks of school, pickup will be available Monday through Friday, 7:30 to 3:00. Weather permitting, the cart and return bin will be outside the front lobby. If the weather is questionable, the cart and bin will be inside.
Following the first two weeks of school, the hours for pickup will change to Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Miss Rankins via email and she will be happy to help in any way possible.Curbside Pick Up Steps - How To Video
Buy your 2021 Rockwood South Middle School YearbookEARLY BIRD SPECIAL FOR $25.00 UNTIL AUGUST 30TH.
Order ONLINE or by PHONE with your Credit Card or Check.
To order online:
- Go to www.yearbookordercenter.com
- Enter your order number: 17210
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your order.
- Be sure to complete your order to receive a confirmation number.
To order by phone, call 1-866-287-3096.
Not sure you ordered a yearbook?
If a student's Chromebook won't start immediately, here's what they need to try (ASAP)...
1) Unplug charger from Chromebook.
2) Unplug charger from wall outlet.
3) Ensure by hand that the charger's power cord is securely plugged into the black charger "brick." (Even the tech support guy can't tell this just by looking.)
4) Close Chromebook lid.
5) If wall outlet is controlled by a nearby light switch, ensure the switch is on, & verify that the outlet works with something simple, e.g. a lamp or alarm clock.
6) Plug charger back into (verified working) wall outlet.
7) Plug charger back into Chromebook, then leave Chromebook on charger for at least 2 hours.
8) While Chromebook is still on charger, open Chromebook lid.
9) If Chromebook doesn't start within 10 seconds, do a "hard reset," by holding down the "refresh key" then tapping the power key .
(Student should try a second "hard reset" if first one doesn't help, but there's no added benefit to trying more than two, i.e., the elevator doesn't arrive any faster by pushing the button a bunch of extra times.)
10) If Chromebook still won't start, then student will need to send a tech ticket to email@example.comIQ.com (with problem description in subject line and in message body), or to Web site https://rsdmo.incidentIQ.com
, or if necessary, to call Help Desk at 636-733-1111
.How to Submit a Chromebook Ticket
JUNIOR FALCON BASKETBALL MESSAGE
We wanted to give you some information about our Jr. Falcon Basketball program, with respect to the current challenges surrounding COVID-19. As of now, we are planning as if the winter season will happen. It is important to keep in mind that all of this may change. This email contains important dates that we encourage you to put on your calendar and we will try and update any changes, as time goes on.
The Jr. Falcon Basketball program is currently available to 4th through 8th graders. Even though the winter season seems a long time away, the paperwork needed to register teams is right around the corner. Thus, decisions need to be made on players, coaches, level of ability, etc. soon.
The evaluation and tryout process for players planning on playing during the winter session will be held in the Rockwood Summit main/lower gyms on:
Monday, Sept. 14th from 7:00 – 9:00 pm (6th grade only for tryouts)
Tuesday, Sept. 15th from 7:00 – 9:00 pm (7th grades only for tryouts)
Wednesday, Sept. 16th from 7:00 – 9:00 pm (8th grades only for tryouts)
Sunday, Sept 20th from 1:00 – 3:00 pm (6th, 7th and 8th grades only for tryouts)
Sunday, Sept 20th from 3:00 – 4:00 pm (4th and 5th grades only for open gym time)
6th, 7th, and 8th-grade teams will be formed through a tryout process. There will be an A-team formed and the remaining players will be on a 2nd team or split between 2 teams. Again, this will depend on the number of players trying out and the number of parent-volunteer coaches willing to take on the role of coaching/assistant coaching teams.
***IMPORTANT*** Any person who is wanting to coach in the Jr. Falcon program this winter, head coach or assistant coach, there is a Coaches Meeting that will be held at Summit (in the flex room) on Wednesday, September 9th at 7:00 to discuss coaching topics for the winter and some of the evaluation process. If you would like to help in any capacity, please plan on attending that evening.
If you have any questions about the coaching meeting and/or evaluation process, please feel free to contact any of the Jr. Falcon Board Members:
Thank you in advance for supporting our Junior Program, and ultimately, the high school program as well. I am always willing to talk about basketball as well. Whether it is Xs and Os, practice plans, developmental skills by grade level, etc.-Sam Haug