Dear Falcon Family,
Happy Sunday! We made it through week one of online learning and I have no doubt that with each passing day we will continue to improve our work together. I loved having the opportunity to pop into classes this week to see our kids in action. To be honest, seeing our kids brought tears to my eyes. We miss them so much and can't wait for the day when we are all together again! I greatly appreciate the hard work of our staff members in navigating challenges to support our kids and the patience of our community as we troubleshoot these challenges. I am extremely proud of our Falcon Family!
As we move into week two, I would like to provide you with the information your student will need for our Monday Morning Advisory sessions. For this week, we have recorded the sessions. As a result, your student can choose to watch the sessions today, using these links, or tomorrow morning during our official advisory time of 8:00-8:45 a.m. Please note that in the future, we may offer live advisory Zoom sessions during our advisory time. The links for this week are as follows:
- Monday Morning Announcements--Talon Talk
- RSMS Student Services Advisory Lesson 8/31/2020--Please see the link for a video clip with this Monday's Advisory Lesson. You'll hear from our Student Services team on how we can support students & families, as well as be able to participate in a breathing exercise called Box Breathing. We hope to have our canvas page up and running soon!
- Mindful Monday District Video--please know that students must access this video through their Rockwood Email Address.
If you would like to see our advisory video from the first day of school, please click here
. Our RSMS Welcome Back video is at the very start of the session.
Also this week, your child will participate in the STAR Enterprise Assessments in Reading and Mathematics on Monday, August 31st - Friday, September 4th. Communication will come Monday from your child's language arts teacher. Detailed information including video directions, example questions, and quick links is also provided on this website for STAR Testing Online
. You can also view this letter from our district
sharing more information.
On another note, as shared by the RSD Technology Department last week, Observer Accounts for parents are up and running. I would like to provide you with some helpful information for accessing your observer account.
Last but not least, a few helpful reminders:
- Please have your students shutdown and restart their devices, each day. This will allow the device to update the settings and will improve performance. Remember to have your student completely shut-down and restart their computer--not simply log-off. If you are still having difficulty with the functionality of your Chromebook, please contact the Technology Help Desk: Technology Help Desk Link.
- Please see the Daily schedule for all middle school students. Please click on the Middle School Tab once you click the link.
- Attendance will be taken each day in all classes. If your child will be out for a specific reason, or has a technology issue, and can not participate in the live session(s), please call us at 636-891-6850.
- If you were not able to come to RSMS last week for our Material Distribution Days you are welcome to come to school anytime between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to obtain needed items. Please note that masks will be required and all entrants must complete a Covid-19 Self Report Form prior to entering the building. If these times do not work for you, simply email or call me and I am happy to arrange a time that works for you!
If there is anything we can do at this time to assist you or your child, please let us know.
I look forward to working with you and greatly appreciate your partnership. Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions at 636-891-6850.
With Falcon Pride,
Laurie Birkenmeier, Ed.D.
Rockwood South Middle School
Discover. Connect. Make a Difference.
Follow Me on Twitter @RSMSPrincipal