We have been working diligently on our gradual phase-in plan for a safe return to the classroom. The school district offers both a Rockwood at School
option for parents who prefer in-person learning and a Rockwood at Home
option for parents who prefer virtual learning for their children.
In-person learning for our students will begin soon! Sixth-grade students may return on Wednesday, Nov. 4 while our seventh- and eighth-grade students may return on Thursday, Nov. 5. The earlier return date for our sixth-grade students will allow for orientation activities as they transition to middle school.
I want to provide you with some information as you make the decision on the best program for your child. Please note the following:
At this time, parents are asked to make a selection between Rockwood at Home and Rockwood at School. Parents will receive an email with registration information today. The registration deadline is Wednesday, Oct. 21.
- For the remainder of our first semester, students will remain in their regularly scheduled second-quarter classes. Teachers will serve both our Rockwood at Home and Rockwood at School students within the same class. The first semester ends on Thursday, Jan. 14.
- All courses in both programs will follow the same scope and sequence in the Rockwood curriculum and be taught by Rockwood teachers. Both our Rockwood at Home and Rockwood at School options will follow our school's bell schedule for courses.
- Please note: For the second semester, our Rockwood middle and high schools are working to make changes to the master schedule. These changes will allow the district to accommodate a separate "Virtual Academy" for our Rockwood at Home learners. At this time, we are working to finalize the structure of this new Virtual Academy, and we will send you more information as soon as it is available. We will also ask our secondary parents to make a choice for the second semester between the two educational formats at a later date. The second semester begins Tuesday, Jan. 19, and ends on Thursday, June 3.
For all information specific to the procedures we will use at Rockwood South, please view this important document.
This document will provide you with answers to the following questions:
- What will my child’s daily schedule look like?
- How will teachers communicate with students and how should my child contact their teachers?
- Will teachers take attendance?
- What if my At Home child can’t login to a class because of illness or technology issues?
- What if my child is isolated or quarantined during the 2nd quarter due to a positive Covid test?
- Will At School students be required to wear a mask?
- What supplies will my child need?
- What other safety precautions will be in place at Rockwood South Middle School?
- And much more!
I also want to make sure you have information on our Rockwood Safe Together practices and procedures for Health and Wellness
in our school. We will be upholding our health and safety practices for the students and staff participating in on-campus education. The school environment will look different than it has in years past, and we are committed to keeping a safe environment for all.
For more information on being safe together in Rockwood, the Rockwood School District is hosting a Rockwood Safe Together
virtual question-and-answer session for the entire district community with Dr. Jason Newland, Washington University professor of pediatrics, infectious diseases. The live webinar is open to all Rockwood students, families, staff members, and will be held from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 20. Community members interested in joining the event may register here
On a different note, as we head into our week of learning, please encourage your students to view our Talon Talk announcements
for this week and our Mindful Monday video from our School Counselors. You will find our Mindful Monday video on our counselor's grade-level Canvas pages. Remember, you can choose to have your child access this information over the weekend or during our scheduled Student Advisory Block from 8:00-8:45 a.m. on Monday mornings. In addition, you can find our www.FalconProud.com
website on our counselor's grade-level Canvas pages to access after school activities sign-ups, our Talon Talk announcements, and more.
As always, please reach out to us if we can help in any way. I will be hosting an Optional Parent Information Night on Thursday, October 29 at 6:00 pm, via Zoom, so look for more information to come. Remember that we are all on the same team and want the very best for our students. I know this is a difficult decision for families to make. I have complete confidence in the strength of our Falcon Family and know we will work together to meet the needs of our students!
Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions at 636-891-6850.
With Falcon Pride,