Communication through Canvas
One of the most consistent comments shared regarding the ALP in the spring was the number of organizational systems and communication tools families were asked to navigate. To streamline that process, all Rockwood teachers, K-12, will use four key features of the Canvas learning management system to streamline academic communication with families.
Feature 1: Calendar & Due Dates
- All teachers will provide assignment due dates in the Canvas calendar.
- The Canvas calendar generates a “to-do” list that streamlines assignments from all courses in one place.
Feature 2: Inbox
- Students and parents can communicate with teachers through the inbox.
- Elementary students will have the capability of communicating with their teachers in a safe, monitored environment.
Feature 3: Course Information/Class Expectations
- Teachers will post course information and expectations on their Canvas courses.
- Parents and students will have open access to this information throughout the year.
Feature 4: Link to Lessons
- Teachers will post links to all lessons in Canvas.
- Canvas will serve as an academic resource hub for all courses.
Grading and Feedback
- Standard grading and feedback process will remain in place with no changes.
- Teachers will provide timely feedback to students.
- Teachers will be available for daily individual tutoring sessions and open office hours.
Canvas Observer Role for Parents
Parents will serve a crucial function in helping their children navigate learning with Canvas through an "Observer" role. In Canvas, Observers have limited permissions that allow them to see what is going on in a course without interrupting the flow of daily course communication. Observers may be able to view assignments, course events and grades for a student in the Canvas Parent app.